Love for desserts, sweeteners and a sweet dish is never ending. It is a ritual to eat something sweet before going to an important event, after dinner and when good news arrives. But, sometimes consuming sweet items leads to an imbalance in the body. Doctors explain when the insulin level in the body decreases; blood sugar level increases and causes the problem of diabetes. In this article, we have covered yoga asanas for diabetes and what should be the diet plan.
These are some of the common questions asked by the people who find something unusual in their bodies.
Diabetes is a problem when the insulin level is inadequate and high sugar level in the blood. It can be caused when the body is not properly responding to the insulin in the body. Diabetes is of three types, which are:
- Type 1 Diabetes: In this case, the body is not at all producing insulin. Approximately 10% of the world population is facing Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 Diabetes occurs when the body is not producing enough insulin for the proper functioning of the body. About 90% of Diabetic people are Type 2 Diabetes patients.
- Gestational Diabetes: Gestational Diabetes is a temporary situation caused to women during their pregnancy.
Symptoms of Diabetes
These are some of the symptoms of Diabetes; if you find them, then it is the right time to rush to the hospital.
- Frequent Urination
- Intense Thirst and Hunger
- Weight Gain
- Unusual Weight Loss
- Cuts and Bruises
- Numbness and Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Male Sexual Dysfunction
Often, people who are suffering from Diabetes find it hard to deal with the disease. Taking medicines is not enough to cure the disease, but going for a proper diet and adding yoga in life can.
Most effective diet for a Diabetic patient
In Diabetes, what you eat and what you cannot eat, plays an important role. Diabetes is a condition which can affect other parts of the body and cause complications. It is very important to follow the right diet and keep sugar level in control to keep the disease in Control.
Let’s have a look at the Right Meal Plan for Diabetic Patients:
- Vegetables: Low Sodium fresh vegetables, grilled, steamed and roasted vegetables are the best for a person who has Diabetes. On the other hand, cooked vegetables with cheese, butter and lots of sodium are harmful to the body.
- Dairy Products: Take only Low Fat Milk, Yogurt and Cheese. Strictly avoid regular yoghurt, full-fat cream milk and cheese as it can trigger diabetes.
- Starch: When it comes to the consumption of Starch, whole-grain items and brown rice can do wonders for the patient. If you are looking for items which can help in decreasing the problem, then stay away from white rice, white flour, white bread, Also, make sure to consume whole-grain items like oatmeal, flour and grains at lunch.
- Non–Veg: For all the non-veg lovers, Seafood, eggs and chicken are your safe spots. Take a step back when fried items like red meat, fried meat, and fried fish is served on the table.
- Fruits: Add a lot of fruits in your regular diet but keep a safe distance from mango, banana, grapes and other sweet fruits.
Sample Diet Plan for Diabetic Patient
|Early Morning – 6 AM|
|Methi Soaked in Water||2 tsps|
|Breakfast – 8 AM|
|Bansi Rava (Semolina Khichdi) with mixed vegetables||1/2 Cup|
|Tea with Milk (No Sugar)||1 Cup|
|Mid Morning 11 AM|
|Lunch 1 PM|
|Cucumber Raita||1/2 Cup|
|Methi Paratha (8 Inch)||1 Piece|
|Masoor Dal||1 Cup|
|Mix Vegetable Curry||1/2 Cup|
|Mid Evening – 5 PM|
|Green Tea / Herbal Tea (no Sugar)||1 Cup|
|Organge (fresh fruit)||1 Whole|
|Dinner – 7:30 PM|
|Green Salad||1/2 Cup|
|Phulkas (6 inch)||2 Piece|
|Capsicum, Cauliflower Subzi||1/2 Cup|
|Masala Chaas||1 Cup|
|Night Time – 9:30 PM|
|Low fat (No Sugar) Optional||1 Cup|
What to avoid?
- Trans fats from partially hydrogenated or deep-fried foods
- Packaged and fast foods, especially those high in sugar, baked goods, sweets, chips, desserts
- White bread, sugary cereals, refined pastas or rice
- Processed meat and red meat
- Low-fat products that have replaced fat with added sugar, such as fat-free yogurt
Yoga for Diabetes
Apart from following the right diet, the best thing to control diabetes is doing yoga. Some of the yoga asanas are helpful in keeping the disease in control. Also, if the diabetes is mild, then there are chances of getting rid of Diabetes. Here are some of the Yoga for diabetes patient which can help in getting rid of it:
Pranayam is an ancient technique of breathing. In this Asana, all you have to do is breathe in deeply and exhale. Doing Pranayam regularly improves the blood circulation in the body, increases your intuition level and helps in oxygenating the blood.
- Take your Yoga Mat and Sit on the Floor. Try to sit by crossing your legs or in Padmasana.
- Straighten your back and keep your chin parallel to the ground. Keep your hands on the knees facing towards the ceiling.
- Now, close your eyes and take a deep breath and hold it for five seconds and then exhale.
- Repeat this process for at least ten times and then rub your hands and keep them on your eyes.
This Pose is meant for the people who are suffering from digestion ailments. Setubandhasana helps in keeping the blood pressure in control, relaxes the mind, improves digestion, relieves menstrual pain, stretches neck and spine and make the body flexible.
- Lie on the yoga mat with your feet flat on the floor.
- The technique is to raise the body up to the sky with your head and neck touching the ground.
- For additional support, you can use your hands.
- Do not exert or hurt yourself and avoid the pose in case of neck or back injury.
As it is said, “a simple truth can change your life”. Similarly, “an easy and comfortable pose can heal your disease”. Vajrasana helps in relaxing the body and mind, improves the digestion and massages the kanda; all you have is to sit right.
- Place your Yoga Mat on the floor.
- Kneel on the mat and let the surface of your feet touch the ground.
- Make sure the heels are facing upwards, and then sit on your buttocks with your spine erect.
- Once the position is set, place your arms on your thighs with hands facing downwards.
- Close your eyes and take deep breaths. Continue sitting in this pose for at least 10minutes.
An Asana to set your body straight. This asana can relieve menstrual pains, get rid of hormonal imbalance, improves digestion, relieves stress and fatigue and strengthen your back and spine.
- Lie on your back with feet open and arms straight.
- Now, slightly fold your knees and hold your ankles with your hands. Make sure that the chest is lifted from the ground and the only stomach is feeling the pull.
- Look straight and smile for ten seconds.
- Take deep breaths and try to maintain the position.
- Repeat the asana five times for 15-20 seconds.
These are some of the basic and easy Yoga Asanas which help in getting rid of Diabetes. Make a habit of practising them every day and feel as light as a feather. Make your body disease-free with the right diet and some easy stretches.