Ascorbic Acid which is commonly known as vitamin C is the abundant in fruits and vegetables. It is a vitamin that works as a powerful anti-oxidant helps the body to form and maintain a healthy connective tissues that includes, bones, tissues and blood-vessels. The vitamin is also water soluble in nature and that is one of the reasons why it is used as a supplement. The best thing about this vitamin is the fact that it is well tolerated in bodies and regulated doses are safe even during pregnancy. Although overdose or high doses can cause headache, trouble in sleeping and gastrointestinal disorders.
What are Vitamin C benefits?
Vitamin C as can be seen from the above paragraph is one of the most important and required ingredient in the body. Here are the Vitamin C benefits on health:
- Helps in preventing Scurvy– scurvy is a disease that is cause mainly due to the vitamin C deficiency in the body. The disease mainly occurs due to the weakening of the connecting tissues which includes the collagen. The anti -oxidants in Vitamin C helps in building the material called collagen which prevents from the occurrence of Scurvy.
- Helps in treating and keeping away common cold and flu– the Vitamin C helps in enhancing the immune system of the body and facilitates in absorption of the iron in the body which in turn strengthens the resistive power of the body to infections. In this way Vitamin C helps in preventing common cold and flu and keeps away viruses from affecting the body.
- Lessons hypertension– Vitamin C helps in keeping a control on blood pressure. People with hypertension have a tendency of having high blood pressure and have a chance of developing cardiovascular diseases. And vitamin C helps in keeping high blood pressure and hypertension as a result in control preventing a person from developing cardio vascular diseases.
- Helps in treating vasodilation– Vitamin c helps in the dilation of the blood vessels which helps in controlling atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure and angina pectoris.
- Cures toxicity arising out of lead– the most common paediatric problem in the urban areas is the lead toxicity problems. Vitamin C can reduce the lead toxicity in the blood. It is seen that lead toxicity results in abnormal growths, lower IQ, behavioural problems and many such similar problems. In adults, exposure to Lead cause kidney failure and increases the blood pressure in a human body.
- Helps in Cataract cure- Cataract is one of the most common problems found in area of visual disorders. And the main reasons for the occurrence of this visual problem is the deficiency of vitamin C. thus, good intake of vitamin C helps in maintaining a good visual health.
- Helps in cancer treatment- it is found in the recent researches that the high amount of intake of vitamin C reduces the possibilities of getting affected by cancer. It is seen that Vitamin C can help reducing the possibilities of lung, vocal cords, throat, mouth, rectum, colon, stomach and oesophagus cancers.
- Helps in combating stroke- as already said that vitamin C helps in reducing the chances of cardiovascular diseases. Hence, it also prevents a person from getting a stroke which is a cardiovascular disease.
- Helps improving mood- vitamin C helps in controlling and maintaining mood of a person. It helps the proper functioning of the brain and enables it to act accordingly from critical to proper functioning situations. This is mainly because Vitamin C helps a very significant role in the production of the neurotransmitters like the norepinephrine.
- Repairs wounds faster- vitamin C helps in the faster repairing of the wounds because of its abilities to facilitate the growth of connective tissues.
Vitamin C deficiency symptoms
The deficiency of Vitamin C can cause a lot of troubles as we have already known by now from the paragraph above. But how can you know that you have a deficiency of vitamin C? Certainly you will not require waiting till you are severely ill. Here are the symptoms that are common when you have a deficiency of Vitamin C:
- Easy bruising
- Slow healing of wounds
- Swollen gums
- Splitting or dry nails and hairs
- Bleeding gums
- Gingivitis or the inflammation of gums
- Dry red spots on the skin
- Dry, rough and scaly skin
- Digestive disorders like autoimmune disease or leaky gut
- Weekend immune system
- Sudden weight gain due to slow or lowered metabolism
- Painful an swollen joints
- Depression or fatigue
Rich food sources of Vitamin C
After you have known about the benefits and deficiency effects of Vitamin C, you must be wondering about the food sources that will help you to stay away from any deficiency of Vitamin C. Here are the list of Vitamin C rich food and sources:
- Oranges (1 large orange contains around 82mg of Vitamin C)
- Red peppers
- Chillies (both red and green; among which green chillies contain more Vitamin C)
- Bell peppers ( all three red, green and yellow; among which red bell peppers contain the highest amount of Vitamin C)
- Brussels Sprouts
- Berries ( all raspberries, strawberries and blackberries; among which strawberries contains the highest amount of vitamin C)
- Pine apple
- Thyme and similar herbs
There are a lot of companies that offer Vitamin C supplements which you can use if you are seriously and several suffering from the deficiency of the Vitamin C. A good amount of regular intake of Vitamin C will help in keeping you fit and away from many diseases. When you are going for the supplements of Vitamin C, you need to keep in mind that overdose if Vitamin C is also not good as the deficiency of the vitamin. Therefore, you should definitely consider seeing a doctor and get the prescribed dose only in order to stay away from the sufferings caused due to overdose.