Poor weight gain is defined as gaining weight at a slower rate than other children who are of the same age and sex. Poor weight gain is not a disease, but rather a symptom. If you are looking for how to gain weight for kids, know these causes of poor weight gain which include the following:
- Not consuming an adequate amount of calories or not consuming the right combination of protein, fat, and carbohydrates
- Not absorbing an adequate amount of nutrients
- Requiring a higher than normal amount of calories
Sample diet for weight gain in toddlers
Early morning – Almond figs Milkshake
Breakfast – Cheese sandwich/stuffed aloo parantha/oats/pancakes
Midmorning – Ragi muffins/nuts/boiled egg/
Lunch – Vegetable khichdi with ghee/ Dal & roti
Evening time – Sweet potato& fruit chaat/fruit custard/chicken stew
Dinner – Roti with ghee + Dal + Jaggery/Fruit Jelly
Foods that can help toddlers gain weight are:
Banana, Peach, Pear, Dry fruits
Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Wheat, Oats, Ragi, Potatoes, Virgin Coconut oil
- Dairy Products
- Non-Veg Food
Plain meats, Eggs
General Tips for Introducing Weight Gaining Foods to Babies
- Try introducing every new food every week, be patient, don’t expect immediate weight gain.
- Till the baby is exclusively breastfed, breast milk helps best to gain weight.
- Never Force-feed the child.
- Don’t overdo with things like sugars and fats although there is a need for the baby to gain weight.
- Do not keep large gaps between any two meals of the toddler. Something to eat should be offered every two hourly.