Fastest Indian Swimmer: Sajan Prakash
India has given the best quality of athletes to the entire world. Now when talking about the sports field of Swimming there is a vast variety of swimmers available in Indian territory. Let’s get a dive into the insight of the Fastest Indian Swimmer: Sajan Prakash.
As the 2018 Asian Games called as Pesta Olahraga Asia 2018 in Indonesian and officially known as the 18th Asian Games or Jakarta-Palembang 2018, which is actually a pan-Asian multi-sport event that is held in the Indonesian city of Jakarta and Palembang from 18 August to 2 September 2018.
This is the first time that the Asian Games are being co-hosted in two different cities. Jakarta is the Indonesian capital that is hosting the Asian Games for the first time since the year 1962. Palembang is the capital of the South Sumatra province in Indonesia.
So let’s see the journey of Sajan Prakash as a swimmer
- Of the various Indian swimmers participating in the Asian Games 2018, one person who has stood out no matter the adversities in his personal and professional life is Sajan Prakash.
- A true high spirited sports persona born on 14 September 1993 he is an Indian swimmer who has competed in various swimming competitions both national as well as international.
- This encompasses the 2015 National Games men’s Freestyle, butterfly and relay events which were held at Kerala. His name was engraved in history on 8th of February 2015 when he won 6 gold and 3 Silver medals in the Indian National Games. This marked the beginning of his career as the best athlete.
- This event was held at Trivandrum in Kerala. Prior to Asian Games 2018, Sajan Prakash has also represented India at the 2016 Rio Olympic games in 200 Meter butterfly.
- In Spite of the recent difficult circumstances due to massive floods that have affected various regions of Kerala which is his hometown where his family resides, Sajan Prakash has been unperturbed and focused on his goals in Asian Games 2018 that displays his true dedication, willpower and sportsmanship.
- Sajan Prakash hails from Idukki district of Kerala and was raised in Neyveli, a small town in Cuddalore district of Tamil Nadu.
- V.J.Shanty Mol is his mother who is also a former athlete and as a matter of fact, has represented India in various national and international events.
- His schooling was completed in St. Paul’s Matriculation Higher Secondary School followed by Jawahar Higher Secondary School in Neyveli, Tamil Nadu.
- Also, he completed his swimming training at the Neyveli Lignite City Swimming Club which is in Neyveli, Tamil Nadu.
- Simultaneously, he graduated in computer applications from Annamalai University in Chidambaram.
- Sajan Prakash is today famous in the country as the 21-year-old Indian Swimmer who surprised the entire nation with his best performance in the 35th National Games. This was held in Kerala this year owing to which he is now going to be appointed as the Circle Inspector by the Kerala Police Department as well.
- This is one of the highest order of honour from Kerala Government for Sajan Prakash. This young athlete has time and again proved his swimming skills owing to which the Kerala State Sports Council and Kerala Aquatic Association have together made sure that Sajan participated in the Indian National Games.
- Thus, his appearance in the Indian National Games was as a representer of Kerala. Sajan Prakash has bagged many accolades at this young age which makes him stand out in the crowd as a class apart. These achievements include the following:
- Rio Olympics – 2016
- He has achieved the most number of National Records in the Long Course and Short Course Swimming
- He also holds 3 South Asian Records along with Asian Record in 800 Meter Freestyle
- 35th India National Games, Kerala 2015
- Won 1 Gold, 4 Silver & 2 Bronze in the Asian Age Group, Bangkok 2017 and 100 Meter Butterfly – Silver in the Asian Indoor Games, Ashgabat 2017.
- He has also won 1 Gold, 2 Silver & 3 Bronze in the Asian Age Group, Tashkent 2017 and managed to get through successfully through the 100 Meter Butterfly in the Commonwealth Games- 2014, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Prior to participating in the Indian National Games, in one of the recent interviews, Sajan Prakash mentioned that he has worked in the Railways for a salary of Rs. 15,000/- and at that point of time that was the only source of income he had. That only covered for his accommodation and the pool fee in Bangalore is Rs. 3200/-.
- With no support from the government and the recent floods in his hometown Kerala, Sajan Prakash has overcome his struggles and come a long way in his swimming career and is evolving as a young champion in the field of the nation and international swimming arena.
- He might also represent Kerala in the upcoming National Swimming Championship, that will be held in Gujarat in October this year.
- Also, few other athletes have excelled in 35th National Games Kerala and they are also going to be appointed as Gazetted Officers.
- Also, those athletes who have won silver and bronze medals will be further given appointments in the local self-government institutions as well.
- Sajan Prakash has also bagged an appointment owing to his relentless achievements. Others to name amongst them are, Elizabeth Susan Koshy who has won the double gold medal in shooting and Anu Raghavan along with Anilda Thomas.
- Apart from this, Kerala State Government has also decided to appoint 78 sportspersons.