Muesli is a healthy fibre and protein enriched breakfast option that is based on rolled and raw oats. It is a healthy cereal that is made up of wheat flakes, fruits, honey, nuts and oats. These tons of combination can be soaked and can also be marinated overnight. Grains, yummy fresh fruits, favourite nuts, dry fruits and seed- a full concoction of iron, magnesium, vitamins and other essential nutrients all mixed together in milk, fresh juice, yoghurt sounds yummy.
Many people mingle this yummy breakfast with granola. But both of these are different from each other. Muesli is a natural option and contains very less amount of sugar whereas granola contains added flavours and more sugar. Here is a list of 12 muesli benefits that will describe why you should consume muesli regularly in breakfast.
12 health benefits of consuming Muesli in breakfast:
- Satisfy your hunger pangs: Consuming muesli in breakfast packs you in a high amount of calories and thus keeps your stomach full for longer period of time. This happens because as we soak fibre in water it gets swelled and thus consumes more space in the stomach.
- Helps to lose weight: Muesli contains vitamin B and other essential minerals thus enhance fat metabolism. As the fat metabolism is increased, it burns more calories thus maintains a proper body shape.
- Good for heart: Muesli contains oat-bran made up of beta-glucan. It helps in reducing the cholesterol levels up to 10% which drastically improves the heart health. Also mixing few lemon juice drops to your meal helps in lowering the cholesterol level due to Vitamin C.
- Best remedy for hair problems: This is another one of magical muesli benefits. Muesli, high in protein, helps in strengthening the bone and improve the health of hair.
- Healthier than other cereals: Muesli benefits in your concoction control. Many cereals that you buy from your regular shop may contain sugary extracts. Muesli often contains no or very less sugar and few calories than other cereals.
- Rich in Fibre: This dish is rich in whole grains and fibre. Although the exact amount of fibre cannot be calculated as there are so many possible different combinations that can be made of muesli. It is actually good for your digestive system too.
- Consume more nutrients: Muesli can be easily marinated overnight. Thus, the essential nutrients get more time to get absorbed. Any antinutrient if present becomes deactivated by this method.
- Reduce hypertension: Scientifically proven, in future, muesli will be the best anti-depressant and will get prescribed by doctors. Consuming muesli every day reduces hypertension and helps to reduce the dosage of anti-depressant medicine.
- Reduce the chance of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer: Nuts and oats present in muesli contain lignans. These lignans reduce the chances of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate cancer.
- Strengthen immune system: Muesli contains extra nutrients because of the presence of fruits in it, thus muesli benefits in building up the immune system and fight against seasonal diseases.
- Reduce chances of arthritis: Very helpful for old age people, Muesli is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and helps in the development of nervous system. It protects people from many diseases like arthritis and rheumatism.
- Cures bacterial infections: Consuming muesli everyday helps in curing bacterial infection at a much faster pace than other homemade remedies.
There are two types of muesli that are commonly used:
- Dry Muesli: Dried muesli is the one that is easily available in supermarkets. It can be directly consumed with hot milk, hot chocolate, yoghurt and coffee.
- Fresh Muesli: This can be prepared at home. It can be made by soaking the oats overnight in fresh juice or plain water. It can be consumed directly in the morning or can be mixed with apple or banana.
Two Simple Muesli Homemade Recipes:
Dry muesli at home:
- Oats- 1 cup
- Raw almonds- ½ cup
- Shredded unsweetened coconut- ½ cup
- Sunflower seeds- 1/3 cup
- Pumpkin seeds- 1/3 cup
- Chia seeds- 1/3 cup
- Wheat germ- 1/3 cup
- Linseed- 4 Tbsp
- Cinnamon- 2 Tbsp
How to prepare: Chop the almonds roughly and mix all the ingredients in a bowl and store it in a jar in dry place.
Muesli, when mixed with cinnamon, helps in curing mild discomforts like cold and cough.
Fresh muesli at home:
- Raw almonds- 2 cups
- Unsalted sunflower seeds- 1/2 cups
- Unsalted pumpkin seeds- 1/2 cups
- Hazelnuts- 1/2 cups
- Chia seeds- 1/2 cups
- Coconut flakes- 1/2 cups
- Almond flour- 1 cup
- Cinnamon- 1Tbsp
- Coconut oil- ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract- 2 Tbsp
- Honey or Agave nectar- ½ cup
How to prepare:
- Roughly chop almonds and hazelnuts and combine them with all the dry ingredients.
- Mix vanilla extract, honey and coconut oil and stir gently until the contents mix well.
- Bake this mixture at 3500C for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from microwave and stir once gently.
- Again heat it for another 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and your crunchy fresh muesli is ready to eat.
Consuming muesli with fresh fruits makes the skin healthy and increase the skin glow.