Obesity is a major problem in today’s era and the diseases such as diabetes and heart diseases have become more common. It is necessary to change the lifestyle as to reduce the risk of developing diseases and losing weight in order to become fit.
1. Don’t Skip Breakfast: Research shows that eating breakfast helps you control your weight. Some people skip breakfast as they think it will help them lose weight but missing meals doesn’t help us lose weight and is definitely not good for us because we can miss out on essential nutrients. It could also encourage us to snack more throughout the day because you feel hungry.
2. Eat Regular Meals: Some people think missing meals will help them lose weight, but it has been shown that eating regularly during the day helps to burn calories at a faster rate as well as reduce the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar.
3. Eat Plenty of Fruit and Vegetables: Fruit and vegetables are low in calories and fat and high in fiber – three essential ingredients to successfully lose weight. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals. Also, they are more water based providing hydration to your body.
4. Get Active, Get Fit: Studies show that regular activity is key to losing weight and keeping it off. As well as providing numerous health benefits, exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can’t cut through diet alone. If you don’t have time to hit the gym then you should try the FITSO app, which gives you workouts you can easily do at home and keep off the extra weight.
5. Drink Plenty of Water: People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need. You should aim to drink about eight to ten glasses of fluid, preferably water, every day.
6. Eat High-fiber Foods: Foods containing a lot of fiber will keep you feeling full for longer, which is perfect for losing weight. Fiber is only found in food sourced from plants, such as fruit and veggies oats, wholegrain bread, brown rice, pasta, beans, peas and lentils.
7. Read Nutrition Labels: Knowing how to read food labels can help you choose the healthier option, and keep a check on the amount of calories, fat, salt and sugars you eat. Use the calorie information to work out how a particular food fits into your daily calorie allowance on the weight loss plan.
8. Use a Smaller Plate: Studies have shown that people who use smaller plates tend to eat smaller portions and still be satisfied. By eating with smaller plates and bowls, you may be able to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without going hungry. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full, so eat slowly and stop eating before you feel full.
9. Don’t Ban Foods: Don’t ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like. Avoiding certain foods will only make you crave them more. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy the occasional treat as long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance.
10. Don’t Stock up on Junk Food – A must to Lose Weight: To avoid temptation, avoid stocking junk food, such as chocolates, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks, at home. Instead, stock up on healthy snacks, such as fruits, unsalted rice cakes, oat cakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn and fruit juice. When going shopping, make a list of items you need but don’t shop when you’re hungry as that can lead to high-calorie impulse buys!
11. Cut Down on the Alcohol: Did you know a standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate, and a pint of lager has about the same calorie count as a packet of crisps? Over time, drinking too much can easily contribute to weight gain.
12. Plan Your Meals in Advance: Plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week ahead, making sure you stick to your calorie allowance. Try to plan for four to seven days’ worth of meals and snacks. Fitso comes in handy in such cases as it helps you get in touch in with nutritionists who make meal plans for you that aid in weight loss.
13. Consume More Dairy: An extensive research study has established that women and men ate low-fat yogurt and cheese lost more weight more weight as compared to the people who consumed less dairy products.
14. Eat Fish: There is a compound known as leptin, which is a hormone. It has been shown that low levels of leptin are associated with high metabolism and decreased obesity. Fish eaters tend to have a low concentration of leptin which relates to good health.
15. Snack on Dark Chocolates: Dark chocolate is an excellent alternative to sweet craving as it contains insulin resistant flavonoids. The healthy fats in dark chocolate can also slow the absorption of sugar into your blood stream, preventing “insulin spikes.” The chocolate must be 70% dark to obtain the benefits.
16. Eat Iron: Iron helps oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and this makes oxygen reach every cell enhancing the metabolism of the body. One should consume appropriate amounts of iron.
17. Peanut Butter: Peanut Butter is rich in magnesium, a mineral that motors up your metabolism by giving your cells energy. Peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread or spinach is a good source of magnesium.
18. Citrus Fruits: Vitamin C is found in good amount in citrus fruits and this vitamin increases metabolism and helps in burning calories. Include in your diet the items such as lemons for flavouring the water, oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit.
19. Snack on Apples: Apple is a low calorie fruit and it has a number of benefits. Apples are full of fiber which helps curbing the appetite. It aids in regulating the blood sugar levels and also reduces cholesterol. Apples have low sodium content which prevents excess water retention.
20. Chew Gum: Chewing gum is a way to trick your brain into thinking that it is having more than it actually is. It is a nice way to reduce the appetite and stimulates the flow of saliva that breaks down starches and fats.
21. Increase Protein Intake: It has been established that body burns calories while digesting proteins; therefore, protein diet can boost metabolism by 100 calories in a day.
22. Eating a Heavy Breakfast: The body needs energy as it is starving since the whole night and missing the breakfast tricks the body into starving. When we miss our breakfast, our body conserves energy by decreasing the metabolism. It is recommended to not skip on breakfast.
23. Avoid Processed Foods: Processed foods are loaded with added sugars, fats and calories. They are prepared in such a way that they cause addictive like effects.
24. Eat Beans: Beans are loaded with proteins, reduces appetite and aids in weight loss management. The fiber in navy beans can also help lower cholesterol.
25. Curb the Intake of Sugar: Sugar intake is associated with world’s leading diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, etc; it is important to regulate the intake of sugar levels. Controlling intake of sugar is a great to improve the diet and accelerating weight loss.
26. Hydrating Body: Drinking water helps in weight loss. Drinking 0.5 liters (17 oz) of water may increase the calories you burn by 24–30% for an hour afterward. Drinking water before meals may also lead to reduced calorie intake, especially for middle-aged and older people.
27. Black Coffee: Drinking unsweetened black coffee before workout boost metabolism and burns calories more than the common amount. Moreover, black coffee makes you fuller and contains zero calories.
28. Reduce Intake of Refined Carbs: The main dietary sources of refined carbs are white rice, white bread, sodas, pastries, pasta, snacks and sweets. These contain nothing but easily digested carbohydrates. They are devoid of beneficial nutrients.
29. Drink Green Tea: Green tea is a natural beverage that is full of antioxidants. Green tea is known for its fat burning capacity and weight loss. Green tea enhances energy expenditure and burns fat especially harmful belly fat.
30. Keep Track of Calories: When one is trying to lose weight, it is essential to count on the number of calories you are consuming and the number you should intake to initiate weight loss.
31. Eat Eggs: Eggs are an excellent food item that contains low calories, high protein and important nutrients. High-protein foods have been shown to reduce appetite and increase fullness, compared to foods that contain less protein. Eggs are the ultimate weight loss food.
32. Spice up Meals: Chilli peppers and jalapenos contain a compound called capsaicin, which may boost metabolism and increase the burning of fat. Capsaicin may also reduce appetite and calorie intake.
33. Take Probiotics: Probiotics are live bacteria that improve digestion and heart health and aids in weight loss. Probiotics may help regulate the healthy gut bacteria. They may also block the absorption of dietary fat while reducing appetite and inflammation.
34. Get Enough Sleep: Getting appropriate amount of sleep is a very important element for weight loss. Studies have shown that sleep-deprived people are up to 55% more likely to become obese, compared to those who get enough sleep.
35. Munch on Flax Seeds: Flax seeds are high in fiber, as well as mucilage, which helps lower cholesterol. It has also been proven to lower blood sugar levels. With such a high amount of fiber, flax seeds also act as a natural gentle way to regulate bowel movements and help promote healthy gut bacteria, both which work well to help you manage weight.
36. Exercise Regularly: Cardio exercises are a great way of burning calories such as jogging, running and cycling. Cardio is helpful in fighting heart risk factors and reducing weight. Cardio seems to be particularly effective at reducing the dangerous belly fat that builds up around your organs and causes metabolic disease.
37. Reduce Sodium in Diet: Salt contains large amounts of sodium which leads to weight gain as sodium retains weight and add up to the water weight. It is preferable to decrease the amount of salt intake in your regular meals.
38. Make Use of Whole Grains: It is advisable to eat foods prepared from whole grains such as oatmeal, whole wheat bread, rotis and cookies rather than processed foods and refined foods.
39. Eat Healthier Fats: There are healthy fats and there are the unhealthy ones. You need to make sure that the fats you eat are good for your health. Most junk foods contain unhealthy or saturated fats. They are the ones responsible for an array of diseases. But unsaturated fats, which is found in avocado, olive oil, and nuts, can help lower cholesterol and the risk for heart diseases when had in moderation.
40. Eat Smaller Portions: When you see more food on your plate, you tend to eat more. So it makes sense to serve yourself smaller portions. This way, you know you’re not overeating. And it can help you lose weight, and without you having to give up your favorite foods.
41. Eat a Balanced Diet: Eating a balanced diet means that you’re consuming adequate amounts of each nutrient your body needs to function. You’ll need to consume the recommended servings of each food and food group to help you meet your daily nutrient needs. Measuring your portion sizes can help you manage this.
42. Avoid Alcohol: Alcohol slows down metabolism by depressing the central nervous system.
43. Skip the Starch: Refined carbohydrates, such as bread, potatoes and rice, create a surge in insulin that in turn drives down your resting metabolic rate. It is important to keep carbohydrates in your diet but really focuses on fruits and vegetables, and whole grains, which have less effect on insulin levels.
44. Rose Petal Water: Rose petals acts as a diuretic. Diuretics encourage your kidneys to put more sodium (salt) into your urine. This excess salt, in turn, draws water from your blood, decreasing the amount of water in your circulatory system. This is not “permanent” weight loss just water weight but the action encourages you to drink more and keep your system flushed clean and hydrated. Staying hydrated, believe it or not, can be hugely beneficial to losing weight.
45. Add Asparagus to Diet: Asparagus is nutrient dense and, like apples contains a lot of fiber to help curb appetite. It also contains a host of vitamins that work together to metabolize blood glucose, therefore regulate blood sugar.
Download our free app!