Salad is a cold dish which includes raw green vegetables combined with romaine lettuce and toppings often served with a dressing of various flavours. Salad does not fall under the category of the appetisers. Here are few easy indian salad recipes we should consider taking as essential part of meal in our daily life.
Salads are a good source of insoluble fiber as it contains vegetables of different kinds. The salads keep the digestive tract healthy. Salads are meant to lower bad cholesterol in the body and maintain the level of glucose in the body. The daily dietary requirement for fiber is 38 gm for men and 25 gm for women. Salads make a nutrient rich meal replenishing the lost nutrients of the body. Basic salad recipes comprise of tomatoes, onions, green peppers which are full of antioxidants. The studies have established that consuming fiber at an early age in life reduces the risk of developing heart disease later in life. Salads fulfil the daily requirements of protein.
Here are some Indian Salad Recipes:
Apple And Lettuce Salad With Melon Dressing
This recipe is rich in iron.
1/2 Cup Apple Cubes
1 Cup Iceberg Lettuce (Torn into pieces)
1/2 Cup Shredded Cabbage
1/4 Cup Thickly Grated Carrot
1/4 Cup Capsicum Cubes
1/2 Cup Bean Sprouts
1/4 Cup Green Grapes
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
The above ingredients are blended together with melon dressing.
1/2 Cup Muskmelon Puree
1/2 Tsp Roasted and Crushed Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander (Dhania)
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Kalimirch) to taste.
Combine all the ingredients along with the dressing and toss well.
Citrus Watermelon Salad
2 cups watermelon (Tarbuj) cubes
1/2 cup orange segments
1/2 cup sweet lime (Mosambi) segments
1/2 cup pomegranate (Anar)
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Salt to taste
Crunchy Cracks – A Healthy Indian Recipe
This recipe is beneficial for weight loss.
- 200 g of cabbage finely chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 150 g plain low-fat yoghurt
- pepper to taste
- 30 g radishes, sliced
- 1?3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions to Prepare:
Mix the cabbage, carrot and onions in a large bowl. Stir the yoghurt and season with pepper. Dress this onto the cabbage mixture and toss well. Just before serving, top it with the radishes, peanuts, and the parsley.
Warm Vegetable Salad
It is one of the healthiest Indian breakfast salad recipes as it contains steamed vegetables that are free from toxins.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 100g fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Sprinkle of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Heat a non-stick fry pan with olive oil and cook capsicum, eggplant and zucchini for a couple of minutes.
- Add mushrooms, oregano, tomato and garlic, season with salt and pepper; continue cooking for a few more minutes. Splash a little balsamic vinegar over vegetables, stir then turns off heat.
- Add spinach leaves, mix in, the heat will wilt slightly the leaves then serve immediately.
Apple, Banana and Date Salad
2 cups apple cubes (unpeeled)
1/2 cup sliced banana
1/4 cup chopped dates (Khajur)
To Be Mixed Into A Dressing
1/4 cup ready-made pineapple juice
1/4 tsp lemon rind
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp mustard (Rai/Sarson) powder
1 tsp powdered sugar
Salt and to taste
Combine all the ingredients along with the prepared dressing in a deep bowl and toss well.
Pomegranate And Kiwi Salad
It is a great option for a healthy Indian breakfast recipe as it has a combination of fruits and vegetables.
- 1/4 cup of fresh pomegranate kernels
- 2 medium kiwis
- 5-7 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8-10 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 5-7 lollo rosso lettuce leaves
- 50 gm of cottage cheese (Paneer)
Method of Preparation:
- Peel and roughly chop kiwis and put into a bowl.
- Roughly tear all the lettuce leaves and add to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix garlic, mustard seeds, mint leaves, orange squash, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper powder and grind till smooth.
- Roughly crumble cottage cheese and add to the bowl with pomegranate kernels and dressing and mix well.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate and serve immediately.
Carrot Cucumber And Rajma Salad In Mint Dressing
This Indian breakfast recipe is a good source of protein, essential nutrients and vitamins.
- 1 cup Thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup Thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 Cup soaked and boiled rajma (Kidney beans)
- 1/2 Cup sliced spring onions
To Be Mixed Together Into A Mint Dressing
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves (pudina)
- 4 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry Salad
- 3/4 Broccoli
- 150 gms Tofu, firm
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 5-6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Peanuts (powdered)
Directions for Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- To begin the preparation of Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry, wash and soak broccoli in water for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the water from the tofu.
- Cut broccoli as individual florets. Cut Tofu into cubes and slice garlic.
- Take a pan and add olive oil.
- Add garlic and let it fry for a minute.
- Add tofu and broccoli and mix well with oil.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Let this cook until the raw smell of the broccoli leaves and it becomes crunchy. When the broccoli becomes crunchy the tofu would have cooked very well. This is the right consistency.
- Switch off the gas and add roasted powdered peanuts.
- The Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry is ready to be served before a weeknight dinner.
Spicy ChickPea Salad
This is a healthy Indian breakfast recipe as it is good in taste as well as loaded with proteins.
- 1 Cup dried chickpeas (about 5 ounces), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 Medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 Cup diced cucumber (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 Small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 Jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon dried mango powder, optional (see Note)
Directions to make this recipe
- In a large fry pan, cover the chickpeas with 4 inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, red onion, jalapeño, olive oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, and mango powder. Add the chickpeas and season with salt. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Chicken Salad with Lettuce and Tomato
- Iceberg lettuce
- Chicken or paneer
Directions to prepare
Saute 1 cup of boiled boneless chicken pieces or 1 cup of paneer pieces in a tbsp olive oil for a few minutes. Add salt, a pinch of cumin powder and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. Mix. Add 1/2 tbsp of tomato sauce and mix. Remove from heat and cool.
For dressing: Add 2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper powder as required, a tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp brown sugar and 1 1/2 tbsps roasted peanut powder. Whisk.
Layer a bowl with cucumber, tomato and onions, add lettuce leaves and the sauteed chicken and pour the salad dressing over it and toss well. Chill for a while and serve.
Brown Rice Salad
This is a combination of taste and essential nutrients healthy breakfast recipe as brown rice is full of vitamins and free of fat.
- Cooked rice – 2 Cups
- Onion – 1 Finely chopped
- Capsicum (Green or any colour) – 1/2 Finely chopped
- Cabbage – Handful finely chopped
- Carrots – 1 Finely chopped
- Tomato – 1/2 Remove the seeds & finely chopped Garlic – 1 clove finely chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 Tsp finely chopped Sesame seed oil/Olive oil – 2 Tsp
Heat oil in a pan, add finely chopped garlic and onion, saute till onion turns pink. Then add all the vegetables and saute on high flame continuously for 2-3 minutes. We want the vegetables to be crisp and not soft. Add needed salt, pepper powder and few drops of lemon juice to taste. Then add the cooked rice to it and mix well. You can add red and yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, spring onion, cauliflower, broccoli and corn.
Pineapple Mint Salad
In a bowl, whisk 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1/4 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of Honey, few chopped fresh mint leaves, salt and crushed Pepper to taste. Add 2 cups of Pineapple pieces, 1 peeled and chopped carrot and 1 peeled and chopped cucumber. Toss well till combined with dressing. Serve chilled.