Indian Swimmers: Anshul Kothari
Indian Swimmers: Anshul Kothari was born on December 17th, 1989 Anshul Ketan Kothari is an Indian competitive swimmer from Gujarat who has made his mark in the swimming field nationally as well as internationally.
He has represented India in various swimming tournaments at an international level such as the Commonwealth Games 2010, Asian Games 2010, and Asian Games 2014.
The Journey where the swimmer was born
A sportsmen’s journey encompasses a lot of hardship and challenges that finally leads to a lot of learning and triumph. When he was at a young age of four, Anshul Kothari was diagnosed with a condition called as the chronic flat foot.
Inspite of being advised by the doctors for surgery his parents adopted a non-conventional method and made sure he is enrolled in sports and various other physical activities.
After starting out with gymnastics in the year 1999, Anshul went to a summer camp where he could train and enhance his swimming skills. His love for swimming thrived further and in this manner, his journey in swimming scored high.
Today, Anshul Kothari is the name that is taken among the most accomplished swimmers in all of India. He has also proudly represented India on the basis of his sheer hard work, determination and caliber at tons of international swimming tournaments such as the Commonwealth Games 2010, Asian Games 2010 and Asian Games 2014.
Anshul Kothari is not only an accomplished sportsman but an engineer too and he has completed his graduation in Computer Engineering (B.Tech) from the prestigious Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology situated in Surat (NIT-Surat) in the year 2012.
His years at SVNIT has never been a hindrance but has only enhanced his sports performance. This is evident as even during his engineering days he would simultaneously make varied appearances on the Indian Team.
His talent knows no bounds as this versatile sportsman is now also pursuing an MBA in the Indian School of Business located in Hyderabad.
Awards conquered by Anshul till date
In the year 2006, Anshul Kothari was awarded the honorable Sardar Patel award presented to him by the Government of Gujarat for his outstanding achievement in swimming spanning the years 2003-04.
In the year 2014, Anshul Kothari was proudly awarded the prestigious Junior Eklavya award which was conferred upon him again by the Government of Gujarat to honor his outstanding achievements in the swimming field. This occurred during the years 2011-12 and has been an addition to his commendable achievements at a young age.
Tournaments Anshul has been a part of
- 2010 brought this young talented and first swimmer from Gujarat to be represented at the Commonwealth Games and also the Asian Games. Anshul has made his hometown Gujarat proud by being a part of 29 National Championships and now is moving forward to make India proud by his International success as well.
- Kothari represented India at the Commonwealth Games where he swam in 50,100 m freestyle and also 4 × 100 m freestyle. This event took place in Delhi.
- Representing India at the Asian Games that took place in Guangzhou, China, Anshul participated in the 50 m butterfly and 4 × 100 m freestyle relay.
- In the Asian Age Group Championships, Kothari has been a part of the gold medal-winning teams in both 2011 and 2015. During the 34th National Games 2011 which was held at Ranchi in Jharkhand, Anshul was the only proud swimmer from Gujarat to bag medals.
- He successfully won 2 individual medals and was the highest in most of the sports events winning 6 medals for Gujarat in total. In the 35th National Games held in the year 2015, Anshul managed to win 3 medals at the national games that were held at Trivandrum in Kerala making Gujarat stand at the 9th position in the medal tally.
- Anshul has made India proud by participating in various championships.
- The year 2011, Anshul managed to triumphantly end a two-decade gold drought for his hometown state Gujarat by completing at the 1st position in the 50 m freestyle event.
- In the year 2017, Kothari again made India proud by winning a silver medal in the 50m butterfly event held in Uzbekistan 2017 and a bronze medal in the 50m freestyle event.
- The timing for both of these events were 00:24.84 and 00:23.28 respectively. He also bagged a silver medal in the 4×100 Mixed FS Relay event that took place along with his teammates Sahil Chopra, Damini Gowda, and Shivani Kataria.
- He also won a bronze medal in the 4X200m Relay FS event where his teammates were Avinash Mani, Sahil Chopra and Sajan Prakash. In the National Championship 2011.
- Kothari has shown a consistent and moreover exemplary performance not just representing his state Gujarat at the nationals but also winning tons of medals for it in the swimming arena solely on the basis of his unrelenting efforts and passion.
- He continues to make India proud through his swimming as well as academic endeavors and is the most versatile of them all!